You may be aware of the regulations that apply to the import and manufacture of medicines in Australia, but do you know what it takes to launch a cosmetic in Australia?
In Australia, cosmetics are defined as a substance or product intended to be placed in contact with any external part of the human body (skin, hair, nails) for any of the following purposes:
- Protecting the body
- Altering its odours
- Perfuming it
- Changing its appearance
- Cleansing it
- Maintaining it in good condition
All cosmetic products – whether they are moisturisers, deodorants or cleansers – must have their ingredients assessed within Australia to ensure they are acceptable for use PRIOR to import, manufacture and sale.
To ensure your cosmetic product can be sold in Australia you need to know that:
1. Importers of cosmetics must be registered with NICNAS (National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme).
2. The cosmetic products should be assessed for compliance against various regulations prior to being imported or manufactured.
3.The product cannot contain ingredients that are prohibited for use in cosmetics or that require the product to be listed or registered with the TGA as a complementary medicine or therapeutic good.
4. Cosmetic ingredients must appear on the Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances (AICS), so any new chemical must therefore be notified to NICNAS for assessment. This involves various review pathways and data requirements based on the chemical’s properties and its proposed use.
5. Once approved for use by NICNAS, ingredients of cosmetics may have usage restrictions or specific labelling requirements that must be adhered to.
6. Cosmetic product labelling, including any claims being made, must also comply with the regulations.
Consumers can rest assured that the ingredients in the cosmetic products they use in Australia have been vigorously tested to ensure their safety.
And importers and manufacturers can rest assured that Commercial Eyes’ consultants have the expertise and experience they need to launch a cosmetic product in Australia efficiently and successfully.
Call our Regulatory Services team on +61 3 9251 0777.